We hope that you’ll be delighted with your Fairphone product(s), however just in case you have any issue, below is Fairphone’s Returns Policy.
Please bear in mind that this Returns Policy is an integral part of our Terms and Conditions. Make sure to properly review it to fully understand the conditions in this document so that we can provide you the best possible service.
*For the purpose of this document, Product(s) shall mean Fairphone smartphones, spare parts, accessories, batteries, merchandise and gift cards .
Standard Return Policy
This return policy applies to the following returns:
You can request a Cool-off here.
For Fairphone Products, including gift cards, you purchased on the Fairphone Webshop, you have a legal right to change your mind within 14 days and receive a refund amounting to the purchase price of the products and the costs of delivery and return. You are entitled to cancel your purchase within fourteen (14) days from the day the products were delivered to you, without explanation and without any penalties. If your products are split into several deliveries over different days, you have until 14 days after the day you receive the last delivery to change your mind about the products. However, you are not entitled to cancel your purchase of accessories for products that are personalized or custom made. This shall include gift cards once they have been shared and used by the Gift Card recipient. If you are exercising your right to change your mind then your refund will be made within 14 days from the day on which we receive the products back from you or, if earlier, the day on which you provide us with acceptable evidence that you have sent the products back to us. You are obligated to send back the product to the address provided by Customer Support, without undue delay and in any event not later than 14 days from the day on which you have communicated your decision to withdraw from the contract. Fairphone shall bear your costs of sending the product back to us, except where you have sent the device to the incorrect address or if you have expressly opted for a type of delivery other than the least expensive type of standard delivery offered by us.
In the case of a Cool-off, Fairphone may reduce the refund of the purchase price (including delivery costs) to reflect any reduction in the value of the Products, if this has been caused by your handling them in a way which would not normally be permitted in a shop. This means You are entitled to turn on and inspect Your purchased device to familiarise yourself with its properties and ensure that it is working correctly – comparable to the conditions that are permitted within a shop. If we refund you the price paid, before we are able to inspect the products and later discover you have handled them in an unacceptable way, you must pay us an appropriate amount due to the diminished value of the Products. Please read the Fairphone Terms and Conditions, especially section 9 and 11, for further information.
Fairphone may offer free promotional items with our products. To receive a full refund on a purchase that offers promotional items all items must be returned.
Products are considered Dead on Arrival, if they are delivered with an in-warranty defect that becomes apparent within 30 days from the delivery and the defect cannot be solved using Fairphone’s general troubleshooting processes. Fairphone will only consider a Product DOA if You contact us within 30 days of purchase and if Fairphone has been given the opportunity to inspect the DOA. In any case, Fairphone Official Service Center must receive the supposed faulty products within 90 days from the delivery date of the purchase. Upon receipt of the products, Fairphone may, depending on the assessment by our repair center, provide a replacement or repair of the returned products. If a device returned for in-warranty service is found to be damaged by the user, the device will be handled as an out-of-warranty service (see point 4).
As a consumer, you will always have the legal rights in relation to products that are defective or not in conformity to the terms of sales. Please carefully read our Legal Hub to find out more about these rights. Products that malfunction or become defective within the Warranty period of 2 years or the Extended Warranty period and to which none of the warranty exclusions apply, as described in our Warranty, shall be eligible for in-warranty service.
A repair or replacement will not renew or extend the Warranty Period unless such renewal or extension is mandated by local law, in which case the Warranty period is extended by the minimum time required by law. In countries where a renewal or extension of warranty is not mandated by local law, the product is covered by the remaining warranty period or a period of (90) days from the date of replacement or repair, whichever is longer. The malfunctioning or defective Product that Fairphone has replaced shall become Fairphone’s property. Please refer to the Warranty here.
If malfunction or defects occur in-warranty, Fairphone will repair or replace, at its sole option and free of charge, any parts of the products that are defective or malfunctioning during normal usage. If the products cannot be repaired or replaced, Fairphone shall refund the products fully or partially based on reasonable usage.
Products are considered out-of-warranty if the malfunction or defects occur after the warranty period has expired or where a warranty exclusion applies. In this case, Fairphone will inform you of the availability, price, and other conditions applicable to out-of-warranty service of the products. Out-of-warranty repairs may be subject to additional terms and conditions between You and Our Service Centre. If You do not wish to have products repaired, Fairphone will return the products to You and charge You shipping, handling and diagnostics costs. In this case, we will also offer to recycle Your phone.
Additionally, Fairphone does not cover any costs You are charged for sending or receiving out-of-warranty Products for repairs, replacements or otherwise.
For both in-warranty and out-of-warranty service return, unless You provide us with other instructions, Fairphone will ship your repaired or replacement product to the mailing address you provided when you authorized in- or out-of-warranty service. If your product is returned to Our Service Centre because delivery could not be completed at the address given, Fairphone will send you three reminders to the address you provided. If you fail to respond within three (3) months, Fairphone will notify you that your device is considered abandoned and ownership transfers from You to Fairphone. Fairphone will erase any outstanding data and recycle the device as deemed appropriate. You will be responsible for all additional charges associated with the custody of the Product.
Please be advised that in the instance that You have rescinded your Agreement, the Warranty is automatically terminated and as such any repairs necessary must follow the out-of-warranty service return.
Fairphone actively encourages you to return any mobile device that has reached its ‘end-of-use’ to Fairphone through Our Recycling Programme or to participate in re-use initiatives, when the option to do so is available in your area. Fairphone actively encourages you to consider the environment when your phone has reached its ‘end-of-life’ and to participate in the recycling of materials and components, when the option to do so is available in your area. Please note that our Recycling Programme is subject to conditions, contact Our Customer Support for more information.
These are Fairphone’s return shipping guidelines applicable to products purchased on the Fairphone Webshop. If you purchased your products from another Seller, then please contact the Seller, who sold the product to you first before contacting us. All returns must meet the overall guidelines for the individual return policy to apply.
- Fairphone currently sells and delivers products only to customers located in continental European territories of: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France Métropolitaine (excluding oversea territories), Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Monaco, The Netherlands (excluding Bonaire, Saba and St. Eustatius), Norway, Poland, Portugal (excluding Azores and Madeira), Romania, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain (excluding Canary Islands, Ceuta and Melilla), Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom (excluding the Channel islands). If you are located outside these countries and would like to return products, please contact our Customer Support to get instructions from us on returning the products. If you are located outside the territories mentioned above and we need to return products back to you e.g. in the case of in-warranty service, you need to provide us with an address in one of the above territories, where we can ship the products back to you. From this address, you are responsible to arrange shipment, as well as any logistics which may apply, to your current location yourself and Fairphone will not refund these costs. Please be advised that the geographical coverage of Fairphone and the subsequent warranty validity is subject to change. Any changes will be communicated here.
- To the extent permitted by law, all Product returns require an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorisation) number. You should obtain an RMA number by requesting a product return on our platform. If you require assistance you can contact us by calling +31 20 788 4400 or by creating a ticket here.
- Please be advised that if you have a Fairphone account, this will solely reflect your own purchases and will not reflect your service and repair history.
- Before returning your products, you are advised to make a separate back-up of any material stored on the product, to delete any personal data, to disable any security passwords, and remove any removable memory storage, any removable accessory on the device ( car-phone-holder etc…) and SIM cards. Fairphone will destroy any remaining material from the products upon receipt and will be unable to return them. Fairphone will not be liable for any missing data or any missing belongings and other information caused by operational failure or defect, nor is Fairphone able to provide a data retrieval service.
- Depending on the reason for the return, Fairphone may charge You a return shipping cost. For example, if the product that You sent in for repair is found to work properly upon inspection (e.g. No Fault Found).
- For In-Warranty services, any customs charges associated with the return of the product to You, in excess of the shipment fees, will be refunded by Fairphone once we receive a copy of your proof of payment. Therefore, these charges will have to be paid by you first, before we refund these charges to you.
- We advise you to keep the original packaging as long as possible and in any case for the duration of the cool-off period.
- Products which meet any of the following conditions, subject to national law requirements, will not be accepted for return:
- The return Products are not sufficiently packaged. Products will be considered sufficiently packaged, if packaged either in the original packaging or packaging providing an equal degree of protection in order to ensure that the products are protected during shipment.
- Any products with missing, damaged, altered or otherwise unreadable IMEI or serial number label, or part number label or an IMEI that does not correspond to the RMA.
- The Product is returned without prior notification of our Customer Support and without having obtained an RMA number.
- The Product is returned without a proof of purchase which contains the original order number or invoice.
- The Product is sent to an incorrect address other than the one provided with the return instructions. Please be advised that if your device is sent to an incorrect address, Fairphone reserves the right to ask You to reimburse any additional expenses that We may have been charged.
- Contact Customer Support as soon as possible prior to initiating a return. If you purchased your products from another trader, then please contact the trader who sold you the products first.
- Create back-up of any material stored on the product, delete any personal data, to disable any security passwords, and remove any removable memory storage, any removable accessories on the device ( car-phone-holder etc…) and SIM cards.
- You must declare in the RMA every item you will be returning. If you fail to do so, Fairphone declines any responsibility in case of loss and/or damage. In view of our circularity approach, Fairphone will allow a 30 days “grace” period for you to reclaim any item which was not in the RMA. If we are able to locate it, we will ship it back to you (at your expenses). If you fail to contact us within 60 days from the reception date, Fairphone will deem the advice abandoned and ownership transfers to Fairphone.
- Follow the instructions sent by email to correctly label and pack the return product and drop it off at the nearest return point in order to deliver it to Us. The package of all product returns must include the shipping label, proof of purchase and other information that may be communicated as necessary for the return. Please note you need to deliver the return product as soon as possible, as the RMA issued is subject to an expiry period of 15 working days after which the RMA will be deemed invalid, resulting in delays in the repair service.
- Warranty service is only provided where Fairphone has had the opportunity to inspect and confirm a defect.