Fairphone Easy Tagline Explained
Fairphone Easy is our first step to also offer a circular service model to our customers – it is a pilot program only available in the Netherlands.
What makes your Fairphone Easy subscription sustainable?
As a company, Fairphone has four focus areas when it comes to our sustainability efforts:
- Fair Materials
- Fair Factories
- Fairphone is building a market for ethical phones, motivating the industry to act more responsibly and pioneering more sustainable ways to make smartphones.
- Fairphone is a certified BCorp and holds a platinum Ecovadis medal (2022).
- Fairphone is constantly innovating ways to improve job satisfaction for workers in the electronics industry. Together with our suppliers, we are listening to workers and creating better working conditions with employee representation, income and growth opportunities. We strive to do this in a variety of ways: our living wage program, diverse workers programmes with second tier suppliers, supplier assessments including worker surveys and dialogue sessions which are verified by third parties, incorporating impact plans in the contractual obligations of our suppliers, embedding our Ways of Working in our contracts and through our Fair Sourcing Policy. To find out more about the ways in which Fairphone invests in fairer factories, click here.
- Fairphone continues to roll out our Living Wage Program, which is one of the most important elements that defines our relationship with our strategic manufacturing suppliers. This means we make a reservation (2 USD) per Fairphone 4 sold for our Living Wage Program.
- For information on the Fairphone mission please click here and You can also find further information on our impact here.
- Every year, Fairphone publishes an annual Impact Report which includes documentation verified by third-parties, on our company KPI’s (key performance indicators) for each of the 4 focus areas above: To read our 2020 Impact Report, please click here.
- Fairphone Easy is e-waste neutral. Since the ownership of the device is not transferred to the end-user, the control over reusing and recycling the phones is in Fairphone’s hands. Fairphone commits to repair and reuse the phone for as long as possible and supply it to recycling once reuse is not possible anymore. Thereby, the lifetime of the phone is stretched to its maximum and Fairphone will take care of keeping the phone or its materials in the loop. The difference between Fairphone Easy’s e-waste neutral claim and Fairphone 4’s e-waste neutral claim is that for Fairphone 4, the e-waste created is compensated by a different phone or e-waste since Fairphone is not in control of the phone’s fate. With Fairphone Easy it is ensured that the same phone is returned and supplied to the best available option in terms of reusing the phone or its materials. Our electronic waste neutrality will be audited annually by a third party.
- By subscribing to Fairphone Easy, You will receive a Fairphone 4 device which is the only smartphone on the market certified with the German eco-label Blue Angel and TCO Certified (for sustainable IT products). . The Fairphone 4 contains (post-consumer and pre-consumer) recycled rare Earths in several components. It also contains recycled tin and (post-consumer) recycled plastics. You can find out more about Fairphone 4 and the ways in which it is sustainable, long-lasting and fair here.
- The device comes in eco-friendly packaging, which means it is a plastic-free and paper-only box that is made with FSC-certified carton and printed with vegetable ink. The packaging is optimized to use it as a package to send in an old device for our recycling program. To find out more about our Reuse and Recycle Programme please click here.
- The Fairphone 4 contains (post-consumer) recycled rare Earths in several components, for example in the loudspeaker. Other components contain (pre-consumer) recycled rare Earths, for example in the vibration motor. Furthermore, the Fairphone 4 contains recycled tin, for example 100% of the solder is made from recycled tin. The Fairphone 4 also contains (post consumer) recycled plastics, for example the back cover is made 100% from recycled plastics.
- Fairphone is the first electronics company that has bought Fairtrade Gold to be integrated into the supply chain of a smartphone. This is also integrated within the speakers, battery connector, PCB and battery PCB of Your Fairphone 4.
- Through Fairphone Easy, You will receive a protective case for the Fairphone 4 device which is made from non-toxic 100% pre-consumer recycled material.
- Fairphone Easy allows for Fairphone to own the device over its full lifetime, which we expect to be more than 5 years. We can control what happens with the materials within the device and its components from cradle to grave and extend the lifetime of the device where possible.
- Fairphone Easy enables Fairphone to ensure that neither the device or its components end up disposed of in the wrong waste stream or left sitting in somebody’s drawer.
- Through Fairphone Easy the lifetime of the phone and its modules is stretched since it allows for both the device and its components to be re-used with multiple consumers limiting the amount of devices which need to be produced. This limits Fairphone’s and our end-users resource use as well as greenhouse gas emissions related to smartphone usage. Furthermore, it reduces our contribution to the world’s fastest growing waste stream, electronic waste, which is related to severe health and environmental hazards.
- By retaining ownership of the device, Fairphone Easy allows Fairphone to provide the device to responsible recycling, where reuse is no longer possible, and recover materials so that they can live on in other devices or other machines/appliances.
- All devices swapped will be repaired, cleaned, checked and repackaged to be reused by other subscription.Through pointing this out, Fairphone aims to educate users about the value of repairing instead of replacing a device. Simultaneously this takes away a huge worry users have when it comes to investing into a smartphone and potential repairs that might be needed at additional cost.
- CO2 neutral shipping will be implemented from Our distribution center to You. Furthermore, We compensate the emissions from our final assembly in Asia to Europe.
- Fairphone Easy allows for the device to be properly protected as You receive a protective case and screen protector to protect the hardware and support the lifetime of the device. By protecting the device, Fairphone ensures the device lives longer, parts do not have to be replaced as often and as a result there is CO2 and e-waste avoidance. This also aims to educate and incentivize individuals to take care of the device and use it for longer and avoid unnecessary e-waste due to a lower need for replacement (e.g. spare parts or entire device).
- By ensuring our Fairphone 4 is being used for 5 years (through the Fairphone Easy subscription and business model), per phone we will reduce the average yearly carbon emissions from 15kg of carbon (when phone is used for 3 year) to 10kg of carbon (when phone is used for 5 years)